5 Favorite Places to Visit in Portland, Oregon by Jennifer Blackwood
Hi everyone! Thanks for having me today :) My newest release, Burning Up, just came out, and it is a sexy firefighter romance set in Portland, Oregon. It follows a recently unemployed school teacher, Erin, who heads back to her hometown after living in California for ten years. While home, she runs into her life-long crush, Jake Bennett, who also happens to be Erin’s brother’s best friend. He asks her to be his date to his sister’s wedding. A few mishaps and a shared hotel room later, sparks start to fly!
I decided to base the book in Portland, because the city is near and dear to my heart. I moved here a little over 15 years ago and couldn’t imagine living somewhere else. It’s a big city with a small town vibe. People are friendly, if not a tiny bit weird. You wouldn’t be hard-pressed to find pink chickens, people riding unicycles to work, or moped/scooter gangs. But that’s the allure of Portland. We’re known for good beer, coffee, and wine (which, to me, spells a recipe for perfection).
Since there is heavy emphasis of food in this book, I’ve picked 5 restaurants / coffee shops you need to check out if you’re ever in town!
1. Papa Haydn—This place is a gem in Portland. It’s known for its excellent cakes and desserts, but Papa Haydn is also a great spot for brunch and dinners!
2. The Screen Door—BEST. SOUTHERN. FOOD. Sure, you’ll wait forty-five minutes to even get in the door, but it’s well worth it for their fried chicken.
3. Pine State Biscuits—A place with biscuits in their name is a good indication that their signature item will be darn good. Their biscuits and gravy are phenomenal
4. Insomnia Coffee (Dapper & Wise Roasters)—This one is a little outside Portland (about 25 minutes away), but the best coffee I have tasted in my life. And that is saying a lot, because Portland has turned me into a bit of a coffee snob. Insomnia has great bold flavors. Highly recommend their Tortoise Shell Blend.
5. Deschutes Brewery—Deschutes is a great, solid Oregon brewery. Swing in there, grab a burger and a beer, and I promise you’ll leave happier than you came in. Their Black Butte Porter is my favorite.
Burning Up - Flirting With Fire Book 1
USA Today bestselling author Jennifer Blackwood fans the flames of desire in her smoking-hot series about firefighters and the women who want them…
Unemployed schoolteacher Erin Jenkins is back in Portland, the town she hasn’t called home for more than a decade. It’s not the way she wants to spend her last days of summer: in between jobs and avoiding her mother’s snooping by escaping to the ice-cream aisle. But when the opportunity arises for her to accompany her brother’s best friend—her lifetime crush—to a wedding, summer gets a whole lot more interesting.
Firefighter and single dad Jake Bennett has built a nice, safe wall around his heart—no romance, no getting burned. That doesn’t mean he’s ruling out a fling. Considering Erin’s visit is temporary, they’re the perfect fit for a scorching no-strings one-night stand. Or two. Or five. Until the worst thing happens: Erin and Jake are feeling more. Damn that four-letter word.
Now their hearts are on the line, and when their smoldering summer comes to a close, it’s going to be harder than ever to put out the fire.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Jennifer Blackwood is an English teacher and NA author. She lives in Oregon with her husband, son, and poorly behaved black lab puppy.
Blackwood writes about gray area issues with steamy tension and sizzling romance. Don't worry, her tortured heroes always get their happily ever after they deserve.